23 September 2011

Adventures in Thrifting

Yesterday was a good day for a gal who likes to thrift...




Two fisher price record players! The top one is for real records, 33 and 45, and was $7 and the second one is a music box and mechanical record player with plastic records and was $10. If you know anything about how crazy people are on ebay with their asking prices for vintage Fisher Price then you know I was pretty excited indeed!  I'm saving the mechanical record player as a Christmas present for Jake. Speaking of Christmas, the other record player is going to allow me to listen to all of the Christmas albums I haven't been able to hear for SO long.  As a kid, that was one of my favorite parts of the holidays. Christmas music just sounds better on a record player. 

Then there is the vintage wool and cotton, navy, old man cardigan that I got for $3. Last but not least VINTAGE HEAVEN for the low, low price of $8. I nearly wet myself. This other lady pulled it out as I was going around the aisle and I gave her a minute silently willing her, "Please don't want it. Put it DOWN! It needs to be mine!". Sigh of relief, when I got to the end of the aisle...there it was, hanging on the end of the rack.  I can't think of the name for this type of faux fur but I absolutely love it. My friend Aiko has a longer coat like this that I covet every time she wears it. I always pet her and say...someday I will have one too. Now I do! This one has the 3/4 dolman sleeves and hits about waist length. It needs some new button love and then it will be good to go. One of the biggest stumbling blocks with vintage clothes can be smell...either cigarette stench or old lady perfume. Thankfully both of these are odor free! 

I also got some old white wooden beads but I'll save them for another post. I've been playing around with making some jewelry, following some terrific tutorials on Pinterest.  Coming soon...

3 comments:

AmyB said...

Darling it's not faux. It's lambs wool!!! PURE VINTAGE HEAVEN is right!

Janet Rhoads said...

There is no tag inside listing the fabric makeup. There's the manufacturer tab with instructions that say dry clean as you would fur. I'm not sure. You'll have to inspect it for me sometime. :) I plan on wearing it a bunch! Love it!

Visty said...

SCORE!!!!